Monday, September 27, 2010

Ouch, Ouch..you're on my hair

1st dates.

A forced, awkward, intimate situation

A great deal of fun.

We all know what makes a bad 1st date because it becomes the last date.

What makes a great 1st date?

I dont know, but I will tell you my ideal 1st date and what has worked or not worked for me in the past.

I love 1st dates.  they are probably some of my favorite things in the whole world.  The best part is the build up to the date.  You spend time liking somone, getting to know someone, stalking someone on facebook, talking to friends or just bumping into someone at the gym and it goes from there.  Many ways and many different outcomes but its always a chance at a new beginning.

A lot of people freak out on 1st dates, esp guys.  But I always looked at it in a positive way, she could have said no in the 1st place so at least you get your shot.  I spent a long time in college chasing a girl that never knew so I vowed never to do that again.  And I havent.

The best way for me to get a date was just hang out with the girl in very social situations and just talk to her.  It makes things very relaxed, although playing it cool sometimes is the hardest fucking thing in the world for me to do.  I am terribly uncool.  But I always ask a girl if she would like to have dinner.  Drinks seems to informal to me.  Usually after some cat and mouse play we set a date and leave it kind of open.

The worst part of the 1st date for me is deciding what to wear.  Yes, what to wear.  I have a very basic wardrobe and it usually serves me well.  But after years of college I have decided that I always go with a long sleeve button up shirt for the 1st date and shorts or pants depending on the weather.  The reason I go long sleeve is two fold.  One, I have a tattoo on my left bicep and the last thing I need is a tighter fitting shirt looking like I am trying to show off my tattoo.  Its not even that cool and I hardly know its there.  The 2nd reason I wear a button up is just comfort level.  A tshirt looks too everyday and a polo looks to preppy. 

The date setting for me is very basic and simple.  I always cook and always like to be at her place.  Start out by picking her up and then going to the store to get the ingredients.  I usually go pasta, veggies and some chicken.  Grocery shopping is fun and its a cool enviroment to see how she reacts.  Maybe she grabs some cookies or maybe a bottle of wine.  Lots of things to read into.  Now, as cliche as me cookin appears (and it is) I love to cook.  It runs in my family and I enjoy it.  So the girl gets to relax, I let her ask the questions and enjoy some good food and wine.  Pasta is easy to cook, so are veggies and chicken but there is still something very sexy about a kitchen...like grabbing a girl by her hips and setting her on the counter and making out right there...plenty of chances for that.

After dinner, do the dishes and its at this point that you know how the date is going.  If you have good, flowing conversation chances are that they date is going well.  Its all about eye contact and smiles.  if she smiles and laughs, your good to go.  I love movies, so I always suggest a good movie.  But the movie cant be too serious or scary.  I love old slasher films because they add a little tension and you can still talk and laugh at them.  Made the mistake of watching the Shining on a date in high school because neither of us had seen it...def no make out.

A good 1st date ends with a decent make out on the couch and all of the sudden the movie has cut off.  A good 1st date leaves you smiling on the front door steps and texting the girl you had a good time before you even get home that night.  Never, ever wait a day boys.  Thats silly and if you like the girl dont mess around.

What makes a good 1st date?

its the people.  If the person you are with is fun to spend time with then it wont matter if you are cooking dinner, bowling, rock climbing or going to a concert.  If it doesnt work out then you know what you really want in the next person.  There is nothing wrong with moving on and looking.  But there is nothing better than having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment