Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Why do they call it a Jeffrey?"

Was driving home and listening to some music and for some damn reason thought about Jay Gatsby standing on the edge of his dock and reaching out.  I have no idea where that came from but it is an amazing image and I just started writing.  Gatsby would be all kinds of messed up inside, crazy love, we have all been there at one point but I havent read that book in forever and I cant remember if it skirts the issue or not.  I may go back at read.

"Standing there at the waters edge
barefoot toes curling over the docks cold, wooden ledge
My windblown hair dirty with drops of the waters foam
I am reaching out, dying to bring you home

I loved you once, I've loved you forever
But a dark blue distance keeps us from being together
I turned to leave with your light behind me
Lighting a past thats getting a lot harder to see

I am taking off someone else's clothes, sleeping in someone else's bed
losing sleep over thoughts of you in my head
the man in the mirror now is just a ghost to me
too well dressed and clean for all the pain that I see

In a crowded room my eyes never leave you
Ive built my world to be your dream come true
All that I think is missing from my life is you
Ive built my world for you to be my dream come true

I see you beside him, I even shook his hand
my life consists of me living to be another man
the smile you give the world is different than the one you give me
I know that your love would be safe with me

So every night I walk outside, in the dark I hide
from the world the tears in my eyes
You'll be loved if you just take my hand
and allow me to finally be your man"

No comments:

Post a Comment